TRANSPORTATION TO AND FROM SCHOOL
For transportation information including MCPSD's Yellow Bus and SamTrans, click here.
SUPPORT YOUR SCHOOL'S PTO AND THE MENLO PARK-ATHERTON EDUCATION FOUNDATION (MPAEF)
The PTOs for Encinal, Laurel, Oak Knoll and Hillview, along with the Menlo Park-Atherton Education Foundation (MPAEF), are working together to make our schools the best they can be for all of our kids. When you support your PTO, you make possible curriculum enrichment, field trips, community building events, and well-supplied classrooms. When you support the MPAEF, you are putting more teachers in our schools – both in the classroom and in specialized areas such as art, music, drama, library and science. All of this makes a real difference in your child’s day and, ultimately, in their education.
Please support these organizations today. Start by clicking here.
PTO donations are due by September 30. Make your commitment to the MPAEF by November 6.
This Week At Hillview...
Tuesday, September 1
- MPCSD Board Meeting, 6:00 p.m., District Office, TERC Building, 181 Encinal Avenue, Atherton
Wednesday, September 2
- New Family Social, 6:30 - 8:00 p.m., RSVP here
- Picture Day during PE Classes
Thursday, September 3
- Picture Day during PE Classes
Monday, September 7
- Labor Day - No School
Wednesday, September 9
- Back to School Night, 6:30 - 8:30 p.m., all grades
Tuesday, September 15
- Hillview Drama Potluck, 5:00 p.m.
Wednesday, September 16
- "Surviving and Thriving the Middle School Years: Supporting Your Student at Hillview," with Principal Willy Haug, 6:30 p.m., Hillview PAC
Thursday, September 17
- Debate Night with Coach Brier Buchalter, 6:30 p.m., Hillview PAC
Couldn't make the Luau? Still need to pick up your schedule? No worries! Come by the Hillview office any time on Monday, August 24 to submit forms, collect iPads, get your questions answered, and receive your student schedule. If the 24th also does not work, arrive early on the first day of school, Tuesday, August 25.
6th Grade Parent and New-to-Hillview Parent Orientation: On the first day of Camp Hillview (see below), after 6th grade parents drop their students off for a day of fun, we invite you to the Hillview PAC for an orientation. Principal Willy Haug and other key support staff will share important information about Hillview programs and answer questions. This orientation, which runs from 9:00 - 10:15 a.m., is also for new-to-Hillview 7th and 8th grade families, whose students may also attend.
Camp Hillview 6th Graders & WEB Leaders: Starting middle school can be an overwhelming experience for students and parents alike, but we want all incoming Hawks to feel welcome and eager to begin their journey at Hillview. That's why we host Camp Hillview, our 6th grade orientation program that takes place at the beginning of each school year.
The Camp Hillview/first week of school schedule for 6th graders is as follows:
- Monday, August 24, 9:00 a.m. - 1:30 p.m., Camp Hillview Day 1: Orientation in small groups with WEB leaders. Lunch will be provided.
- Tuesday, August 25, 8:25 a.m. - 3:05 p.m., Camp Hillview Day 2: Students will follow their schedule and meet their teachers. Snack will be provided. Please pack a lunch or consider ordering a hot lunch for your student.
- Wednesday, August 26, 8:25 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.: Students will follow their schedule. No snack or lunch provided. Please pack a lunch or consider hot lunch for your student.
- Thursday, August 27, 8:25 a.m. - 2:30 p.m.: Students will follow their schedule. No snack or lunch provided. Please pack a lunch or consider ordering a hot lunch for your student.
- Friday, August 28, 8:25 a.m. - 3:05 p.m., Camp Hillview final day: There will be a pool field trip from 11:30 a.m. - 2:30 p.m. Signed permission slip is required. STUDENTS NEED TO BRING A BAG LUNCH and pool items, i.e. swim suit, towel, sunscreen, etc. but they won't need a backpack.
- Thursday, August 20, 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., Training: Lunch will be provided.
- Friday, August 21, 9:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., Training: Lunch will be provided.
- Monday, August 24, 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m., Camp Hillview: Lunch will be provided.
6th Grade Movie Night: The Hillview ASB Student Council is excited to announce our annual 6th Grade Movie Night on Friday, August 28, from 6:00 - 8:30 p.m. Admission is free and concessions benefiting the Hillview ASB will be available for $1.00 each. All 6th graders are invited to attend by showing up promptly at 6:00 p.m. to the Hillview Performing Arts Center (PAC). In Hillview tradition, the movie is kept a secret until the night of the show, however, this will be a "G" rated movie that connects with ASB's vision for perseverance and developing character. This is a wonderful opportunity for 6th graders to come together as a class and we look forward to seeing your child there!
Fall Photo Days on September 2 and 3: iClickSmiles Photography will be photographing students at Hillview on September 2 and 3. There are no envelopes to fill out; all individual students will be photographed for free. All orders with are placed through the iClickSmiles website. You will be able to view and order your photos online about 10 days after photo day. Additional emails with clothing recommendations and reminders will be sent before the photo day. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact iClickSmiles by clicking here.
Dress for Success Norms, aka the Hillview Dress Code: Last spring, Hillview implemented a straightforward, gender-neutral dress code that emphasizes the importance of choosing appropriate attire for different contexts. As you and your student embark on back-to-school shopping, please keep these guidelines in mind:
- All students must be covered completely from mid-thigh to the top of the chest in non-see through materials.
- The front and back of a shirt (or a top of any kind) must be connected over both shoulders.
- Clothing must cover all undergarments.
- Hats and head coverings (except for those worn for religious purposes) are only allowed outside of classrooms.
- Clothing must be free of obscene or inappropriate words and/or logos.
- Adjusting the fit of the clothing (if it's possible to do so and still meet the guidelines).
- Putting on something that is already at school (e.g. PE clothes, a jacket, etc.)
- Calling home and requesting a change of clothes.
Transportation to and from Hillview: Fewer cars make Hillview feel more welcoming, safer, and easier to approach on foot. Please consider alternatives to single-family car rides for your family's commute to and from school. More information can be found at the following links: Hillview transportation overview, Hillview's car drop off and pick up information, and Hillview's bike and walk information. Hillview is well-stocked with bike racks, and many students do bike to school. If your child bikes, please review with him or her such bicycle safety guidelines as wearing the helmet properly and observing the rules of the road. We want all students to arrive safely at school each and every day. Registration for seats on the yellow bus serving Tinsley Transfer students is handled by the Hillview office (650) 325-3861. Find clear and simple information on taking SamTrans to Hillview. For the MPCSD Transportation web site, click here.
Volunteer Opportunities at Hillview: We need you! So many great things are happening at Hillview, and we would love for you to be a partner in the excitement! From the Hot Lunch service to Mini Course assistance, Staff Coffee Cart and Luncheon help, Academy Parent duty, Speaker Series event assistance, Flower Day coordination, and much more, we need great people to create and lead the programs that make Hillview vibrant. Click here to read about and sign up for ongoing volunteer opportunities and one-time events. You can select the type of volunteer options that interest you and receive e-mails about those types of events throughout the year.
Hot Lunch: Hot lunch begins Tuesday, August 25 for all students. You can order your student's lunch online at Choice Lunch. If your child is new to Hillview, you may be asked for a registration code when signing up for Choice Lunch; the code to use is "Hillview."
Serving lunch at Hillview takes less than 12 minutes, but is great way to connect with students. Volunteers arrive 20 minutes early to set up, and stay 10 minutes after serving to clean up and stack the lunch bins. It's less than an hour per week commitment and a fun way to meet other parents and see your kids and their friends at school. If you're interested in signing up as a hot lunch volunteer, please contact email@example.com.
New Family Social on Wednesday, September 2, 6:30 - 8:00 p.m.: The MPAEF in partnership with Hillview's PTO, would like to welcome all new parents to a casual Welcome Social at a fellow Hillview family's home. You will meet our principal, Willy Haug, our Superintendent, Maurice Ghysels, and our MPAEF and Hillview PTO leaders; they'll be talking about our amazing school and our community-funded school district. Our goal is to make this a fun and educational evening for you to meet other parents and to hear about what is happening at Hillview and in our District. Cheese & crackers and wine will be provided. Parents only please. Click here to RSVP.
|Programs and Activities...|
Hillview's PTO is excited to offer its students a wide array of after-school programs this fall! We have a few new program offerings, as well as returning favorites. From Chess, to Mandarin, to Lacrosse and Cross Country, there is something for every student's interest! Click on any of the links below to gather more specific information about each program, including a description of the program, registration links and pricing. Please keep in mind that each program will only be offered if the minimum student enrollment is reached. For more information, see Hillview After-School Programs.
- Monday: Cross Country, Mandarin, Lacrosse
- Tuesday: Wizbots
- Wednesday: Cross Country, Writing Workouts
- Thursday: Chess, Junior Chef Stars
- Friday: Fencing
Welcome Back! The Music Department is busy getting all of the instruments tuned and cleaned, ordering music and getting the Music Room ready to go for the start of a new school year!
It's not too late to sign up for band, orchestra or chorus. If you have any questions, please contact Mr. Vaughan.
Jazz Band auditions will begin on Monday, August 24. Sign-ups are posted in the Music Room and on-line.
Intramural Sports: Intramural sports are in the process of being discussed. More information to follow.
After-School Sports: Welcome to the 2015-16 Hillview School Year. Our After-School Sports Program is looking forward to another exciting season of Sports Activities. Fall sports include:
- Girls Volleyball: Registration opened on Friday at the Luau. All Hillview girls are welcome and encouraged to participate in the Burgess League Volleyball program. Click here to register. Any student registered will be placed on a team provided we have enough coaches to support the number of teams we have. If you're interested in coaching please notify Harry Bell. Experience is not necessary. No one is expected to coach alone. We normally have at least 2 coaches per team. Team placement workouts will be held on Monday, September 14. League begins week of September 28.
- Tournament Team Volleyball: Tryouts will be this week on August 26 and 27 from 3:00 - 5:00 p.m. 7th/8th grade girls attending Hillview are eligible to try out but MUST be registered for Burgess League first. Tournament team players will play on a Burgess League team as well as the Tournament Team. More information about the Tournament Team can be found here. The team will be selected following the second tryout date. Coach Felipe Gonzalez will make the team selection. There will be a mandatory parent meeting on Wednesday, August 26 at 4:30 p.m. Mr. Bell will discuss with parents the commitment expectations for Tournament Team players. NOTE: Mr. Bell will NOT be the coordinator of this program once the team has been selected.
- Flag Football: Registration opened on Friday and all Hillview students are invited to participate in after-school flag football. 8th grade flag football has already filled and the other teams are filling up quickly. Click here to register. Those not registering among the first 20 per team will be placed on a waiting list. In prior years, we've been able to add many wait listed players, but there is no guarantee. We are seeking parents willing to volunteer as coaches. Please notify Harry Bell if you are interested or if you have any questions.
- Boys Volleyball: The Menlo Park Recreation Department is attempting to start a boys volleyball Spring League Program. This program will be open to all 4th-8th grade boys in Menlo Park and outlying areas. To create interest in the Spring League, Burgess has offered their Arrillaga gym this fall for boys only workouts. The registration process is still being discussed. Tentatively the program will be on Wednesday evenings from 5:15 - 6:45 p.m. for middle school boys starting in late September and ending in late October. More information to follow.